Well day two of ISTE 14 is in the books, and as the Lego movie would say EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!! Well not everything....there were some things that sucked, but that would be the case at everything. Hee I will bless you with my musings on day two. You will get the stuff I thought was awesome, the stuff I thought sucked, and maybe some stuff in between. Remember these thoughts are purely my own, so if you think I suck....so be it
EVERYTHING IS AWESOME
1. The edges of the exhibit hall- with the exceptions of Edmodo,Google, I could care less about the big boys in the front of the Hall (I will get to them in the sucks part). The real exhibit hall is on the edges. I found the stuff I LOVE there like Thinglink, Leap Motion, Air Squirrels, Symbaloo (yes they have a good size both but its still not near the so called BIG BOYS, Air Squirrels, and several others. THIS IS THE STUFF I ACTUALLY USE!
2 LESLIE FISHER- I will admit it, I am a fan boy. Her mix of humoR and just plain COOL STUFF, makes her sessions a must see to me. I am so lucky that she comes to GAETC every year
3. ADAM BELLOW- really if you take everything I said about Leslie, you could apply it to Adam. His mix of humor, grat thoughts, and cool stuff makes him a must see. AND GUESS WHAT GA FOLKS????? He is keynoting GAETC this year!
4. The Bloggers Cafe- Want to meet some cool people who are actually building STUFF WE CARE ABOUT, hang out at the Bloggers Cafe for a bit. Plickers, Kaizena, Celly, Remind and many others have been through. They know we love them, but the cost of the exhibit hall is so crazy that they are guerilla marketing the conference. In many ways, I LOVE THEM MORE FOR IT! Tomorrow I plan on stalking TOUCHCAST. They are my absolute new favorite tool
5. HOLY COW BATMAN I ACTUALLY KNOW PEOPLE!!!- When I came to my first ISTE, I was a young fawn in the ed tech game. I had just finished my ed tech masters, just gotten on Twitter, and went to ISTE on a whim. Things Change my friend!. Since 2012, I have been doing presentations all over and attending all kinds of ed tech events. Now I actually have a whole crew of people to hang out with! Thanks ed tech peeps! By the way if someone has not told you already, TRY TO MEET PEOPLE!
THE THINGS THAT SUCKED
1. OH I HATE SAYING THIS, BUT......THE CONGRESS CENTER- I am an ATL boy, but this conference has taught me I HATE the structure of the Congress Center. You would think a place as big as it is would have more than a stair case and an escalatar to get people down one floor! BOTTLE NECK SUCKS!
2. Really again.....yes the lines- I am going to take this time and say I feel bad for the GWCC Starbuks employees. Did they ever stop moving? There was a crazy line there all day, and there was lines everywhere. There is nothing worse than not getting into the session you want. The one thing I wish is that ISTE would spread out more and also use building C. You could also add more sessions giving more options.
3. The Big Boys of the Exhibit Hall- there are some major exceptions to this (Edmodo, Google come to mind), but I don't even look at most of the huge Exhibits in the Middle. Really they fall into three categories: textbooks, projectors, and interactive white boards. This shows that we need a MAJOR shift. The innovators are on the outside ages while we get bombarded by the Textbook Publishers. I like my interactive white board as much as the next guy, but the best innovators in the space Ipevo and Air Squirrels were on the edge. And last but not least, I know you can innovate projectors some, but until I see holograms I am not impressed.
The Somewhere in Between
1. Tablet and Operating System Smackdown- This session had some good stuff in it, but I found it a bit all over the place.
New Tools For the Warchest
1. Delivr- QR Codes you can change what they go to without changing the picture!
2. 81 DASH- very cool discussion tool made by a teacher
3. Pear Deck- a student response system that does so much more
4. Meta Glass- Holy Cow! Look them up online
Tomorrow! Tomorrow! The Things I Look Forward TO
1. Party time- I have three different things to go to tomorrow night! Looking forward to meeting new people!
2. 40 Free Mobile Apps- I do similar presentations so interested to what they are going to show
3. The Big Time Stage- where I hung out most of today. Interested to hear more of the nationlly known speakers
4. The Google Playground- should be a cool place. Very interested to see whats there
5. Touchcast- They are in one of the playgrounds and I can't wai
Leave a Reply.